Changing chat.log directory

SimenVenner

Changing chat.log directory

Post by SimenVenner »

Hi, I've been using ARM for a long time, and I've been using a simple trick to avoid the chatlog filling and wearing out my SSD drive.
I've installed Aion on C:\, which is as mentioned a SSD.
Being slightly paranoid about wearing out the disk by constantly writing to and emptying the chatlog, I wanted to move it to another drive.
Of course, one may not simply move the file and expect everything to work, both ARM and (more importantly) Aion expects the file to be named chat.log, and placed in the Aion folder.
So came up with a solution others might be interested in.

What I've done is to create a symbolic link in place of the original log file, which links to a .log file on another drive.
Both Aion and ARM treats the symbolic link as it normally would, but the file that is read/written to is placed in a different location.

C:\Program Files...\Aion\Chat.log (Symbolic link)
which points to
X:\AionChat.log (Actual log file)

How to do this:
1. Move the original .log file from the Aion folder to your new location (Alternatively delete the original, and create an empty .txt document in your new location, then change the extension to .log)
2. Open a cmd prompt (Start menu, type/search for cmd, right click and run as admin)
3. Execute the command 'mklink "<original chat.log location>" "<new location>" ' ie:

Code: Select all

mklink "C:\Program Files (x86)\Gameforge\Aion\Chat.log" "X:\AionChat.log"
Don't forget the quotes around both pathnames.

The bug it creates:
This method has worked flawlessly for me for half a year with one minor exception.
The symbolic link itself is always 0 KB in size, which means that ARM will never issue the file size warning when the target of the link grows, and the new log file will keep growing unchecked.
My workaround to this is to manually empty the log (deleting it might cause issues, haven't tried that) by opening in notepad and deleting the content.